Pupils are taught to:
Algorithms and Programming:
* Design a solution by breaking a problem up.
* Recognise that different solutions can exist for the same problem.
* Use logical reasoning to detect errors in algorithms.
* Use selection in programs.
* Work with variables.
* Explain how an algorithm works.
Explore ‘what if’ questions by planning different scenarios for controlled devices.
* Select, use and combine software on a range of digital devices.
* Use a range of technology for a specific project.
* Discuss the risks of online use of technology.
* Identify how to minimise risks.
Knowledge and Understanding:
* Discuss the positive and negative impact of the use of ICT in my own life, my family and friends.
* Understand the potential risk of providing personal information online.
* Recognise why people may publish content which is not accurate and understand the need to be critical evaluators of websites.
* Understand that some websites may have popups that may affect the way information is presented.
* Recognise the potential risks of using internet communication tools and understand how to minimise those risks.
* Understand some material on the internet is copyrighted and may not be copied or downloaded.
* Understand that some messages may be malicious and know how to deal with this.
* Understand that online environments have security settings which can be altered.
* Understand the benefits of developing a ‘nickname’ for online use.
* Understand that some malicious adults may use various techniques to make contact and elicit personal information.
* Know that it is unsafe to arrange to meet unknown people.
* Know how to report any suspicions.
* Understand that pictures and tags should not be published on the internet without the person’s permission.
* Know that content put online is extremely difficult to remove.
* Know what to do if they discover something malicious or inappropriate.
* Follow the school’s Safer Internet Rules.
* Make safe choices about the use of technology.
* Use technology in ways which minimise risk.
* Create strong passwords and manage them so that they remain strong.
* Independently and with regard to e-safety, select and use appropriate communication tools to solve problems by collaborating and communicating with others within and beyond the school.
* Competently use the internet as a search tool.
* Reference information sources.
* Use appropriate strategies for finding, critically evaluating, validating and verifying information.
* Use knowledge of meaning of different domain names and common website extensions.
Raspberry Pi – Part 1
Impressionist art, photo editing, sculpture
A Kodu Project
Collaborative Google Sites
Inside the Internet
Click here for more information.